Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What to eat Wednesday: Buffalo Burgers with Blue Cheese Spread and Celery Slaw

Hello everyone! Sorry this post is late, but after dinner we had company and then many kids swimming in the pool tonight. So after Alina was taking a bath (which by the way she got out to go poopy on the potty again) and then there was clean up. So on to the recipe.

How many of you like Buffalo wings? Well this dish has the flavor but made into a burger. It's a great recipe for a hot summer evening. I came across this by accident when looking for something else and all I saw at first was Blue cheese spread. I was sold as I do love Blue cheese. I immediately clicked on it and decided that was What to Eat for Wednesday.

It turned out delicious and the celery slaw and homemade blue cheese spread tasted completely refreshing. I will admit, it isn't exactly low-fat, but I swapped in ground turkey and used a light sour cream. I did not, however, skimp on the blue cheese crumbles - it just wouldn't be right. I cooked them on the grill and the buffalo flavor just cooked right into the meat. I happen to love Frank's hot sauce, so I used the 1/4 cup like the recipe calls for, but if you like a little less heat, don't use as much.

I did make just a regular grilled burger for my daughter as she doesn't like hot sauce, but I still toasted the bun on the grill for her and she liked it a lot. I threw some thick slices of zucchini on the grill do go with it and was a happy camper.

I'll also apologize that my camera battery was dead as I wanted to take a hot off the grill picture, but if you click on the link above you will see how it should look. I promise I'll be better prepared next week.

Here's the recipe:
For Burgers:
1 pound 85/15 ground beef
1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce like Frank’s Red Hot
Celery Slaw (Below)
Blue Cheese Spread (Below)
3 onion rolls/buns
butter

Heat grill to around 400 degrees F. Pat hamburger into 1/3-pound burgers. Place burgers on grill. Baste with hot sauce. Grill burgers on medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Flip and baste again. Grill for another three minutes. Flip and baste. Check for doneness. Remove from grill when desired doneness is reached. Allow to rest under a tinfoil tent while you toast the rolls.

Butter onion rolls liberally. Grill for 2 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove from heat. Place burger on the bun. Top with celery slaw and spread bun with blue cheese spread. Enjoy.

Celery Slaw:
4 stalks celery
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced

Shred celery stalks with cheese grater or food processor with shredding blade attached. Squeeze excess liquid from celery using a paper towel or clean towel.

Blue Cheese Spread:
2 heaping tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
3 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 small clove garlic, minced
salt and ground pepper

Mix together all ingredients. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Makes 3 burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment